Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Slayer of colds: the Ginger Dragon!

A local coffee chain has this amazing drink called a Ginger Dragon. It is simple - steaming hot ginger, lemon, and honey, and is not for everyone, as it is quite potent. However, my husband looooves this concoction, and I have to admit that it is just the thing if you have a cold, or if you are cold. The ginger has a fabulous warming effect, and it'll definitely clear out your sinuses! So, inspired by this cool summer beverage - Jamaican Ginger Beer - over at the Common Room, I decided to try making my own. (I scaled the recipe down, so if you'd like a larger batch, try their proportions.)

Ginger Dragon

Ingredients
a decent-sized chunk of ginger (mine was about 6 ounces), peeled and chopped into chunks
2 cups water
1/3 cup lemon juice
2/3 cup honey

Put the ginger chunks in the blender with a cup of water and whirl it all up. Strain out the liquid into a container, and put the pulp back into the blender with a half-cup of water. Blend and strain again. Blend one more time with another half-cup of water, and strain again. Now you have about 2 cups of super ginger-infused liquid! Add the lemon juice (fresh-squeezed is superior, but I used bottled 'cause that's what I had) and honey. 

What you've just made is STRONG. Trust me. My ginger-lovin' husband likes this mixed about 50-50 with boiling water, but I like it a bit weaker. I think it would also be good added to hot tea in even smaller amounts.

Hope it helps you stay warm from the inside-out this winter!

No comments: