Saturday, June 23, 2012

In which I get crafty

Inspired by Grace@Camp Patton's sewing alterations, I've been looking all over for something to cut up. Hey, there's that T-shirt that Shawn finally admitted that he doesn't really like, never wears, and besides he has another one just like it. (Note to self: check what he's wearing before donning new shirt, lest we look like these people. (Who are totally cute, but I don't think we  can pull it off.))

I will apologize now for the crappy pictures. Sorrysorrysorrysorry. Samuel was bored of taking pictures of me after like 5 minutes (I know, can you believe it?) so I had to resort to what one friend tells me are known as "Damn Hell Bathroom Shots".  Sorrysorrysorrysorry. You are about to get intimately acquainted with my hand soap.

Anyway, BEFORE:

T-Shirt Refashion!

And, for those who don't want to read this giant post about sewing, AFTER:

T-Shirt Refashion!

Okay, now that I've spoiled the ending, here's another look at the pre-reconstruction tent, complete with baby.

T-Shirt Refashion!

You have no idea how hard it is for me to post these pictures, because he's 7 months old, for goodness' sake, and I still look 7 months pregnant. Le sigh. Oh, well, this is me getting over myself.

Here's what I was shooting for, more or less. You know, without the spit-up stain. Keepin' it real, folks. I used a shirt that is identical to this one, but a different shade, in the following pics.

T-Shirt Refashion!

First, turn your shirt inside-out.

T-Shirt Refashion!

You totally needed that picture to know how to do that, didn't you? Now compare your favorite shirt with the giant one.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Decide that symmetry is not your strong point and fold it in half in a probably fruitless effort to prevent lopsidedness.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Compare again! Insert pins at crucial junctions to mark where you want your new shirt to hit you.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Including the curve of where sleeve meets shirt.

T-Shirt Refashion!

COMPLETELY FORGET TO LEAVE A SEAM ALLOWANCE as you cut the body, remember in time for the armhole.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Now that we've screwed that up, what else could go wrong? Let's see how much sleeve we want to keep.

T-Shirt Refashion!

This much. WHACK!

T-Shirt Refashion!

Now, chop off the seams on the sleeves. WHACK! (In case you couldn't tell, the most fun part of this project was definitely chopping the shirt to bits. I mean, I had been ready to turn it into cleaning rags or whatever, so I didn't have a lot invested in the outcome. Made it very liberating to just cut with abandon, and WITHOUT A PATTERN. WHOOO!)

T-Shirt Refashion!

Okay, turn shirt remnant right side up.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Add sleeve, right side up.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Flip, right sides together.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Pin. It helps to lift the fabric to ease the opposing curves together.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Sew sleeves to shirt. Now since we measured so carefully, be sure to use a seam allowance of EXACT- hahahaha! Use whatever seam allowance you want! Throw caution to the wind! TO THE WIND, I say.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Admire your art smock.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Sew sides together, from sleeve edge, along the bottom of the sleeve to the armpit, and down the side. Um, here's where I got lazy about pictures, but you know what I'm talking about, right?

T-Shirt Refashion!

Realize that you really needed that darn seam allowance that you left off before. Well, someday when you're not pregnant or nursing, this shirt will fit perfectly. Until then, good enough. Also, this shirt is really long. Hem it!

T-Shirt Refashion!

That's better, you think, as your children photobomb you. Can't they see I am taking important pictures here?

Fold shirt in half with shoulder seams together. I even pinned 'em, in my everlasting quest to maintain symmetry.

T-Shirt Refashion!

Compare with goal shirt. Forgot to photo that. Then, WHACK!

T-Shirt Refashion!

Okay, here's where the photos got REALLY sketchy, mostly because I was figuring it out as I went along and forgot to photograph my bumbling. Basically, salvage the original shirt hem that you cut off, and piece it together so that it's long enough to trim the new neckline. Sew it on. You'll need to be careful that it all matches up pretty well at the front. I had to go back and fix that. And you have to miter where the trim meets at the V.

T-Shirt Refashion!

And there you have it!

No comments: