Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Happy Feast of St. John the Baptist!


Our wonderful pastor was recently reassigned to another parish, and we miss him terribly. One of the things I love about him is that he was always sharing little tidbits of Church tradition that I had never heard of before. I know just what he is telling his new parishioners today! He shared with us the very interesting fact that the feast of the birth of St. John the Baptist occurs just after the summer solstice, and the feast of the birth of Christ - Christmas - occurs just after the winter solstice. So, St. John, who was 6 months younger than Jesus was born as the light is beginning to diminish, until the birth of Jesus when it begins to increase again. Which brings to mind the words of St. John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

I love all the ways our faith interweaves with life!

1 comment:

Beate said...

I've never even thought about it! It makes perfect sense though :-) Thanks for sharing Tracy.

We are loosing our homeschooling priest, who has been a huge God-sent, so I can relate.