I've been tagged by Wendy at Zoom Times!
If you were trapped on a desert island and it was Christmas and all you had was a small generator, Christmas lights for your coconut tree, an endless supply of Christmas cookies and eggnog, your CD player and 6 Christmas CDs , which 6 albums would you want them to be? If you can find Amazon links, we can listen to snippets...
Okay, before I give answers, I need to tell you that we really don't own very much Christmas music, and I'm not familiar with CDs we don't own! Most of what we have we picked up on clearance after checking to be sure that it was all (or at least mostly) religious music and did not include "The Christmas Song", which I hate. (Sorry.) I prefer the traditional stuff mostly. Oh, and I don't like instrumental stuff, I want words!
So, what I'm trying to say here is that I don't know if these are my favorites, but this is what we've got!
1. The Gregg Smith Singers - I have no idea who these people are. Nice CD, though. Covers most of the "basics".
2. Traditional Sounds of Christmas - this is a boxed set that has 3 CDs. I think one of them is instrumental, so we only listen to the other 2.
3. Bing Crosby's White Christmas - we actually have 2 CDs with this title, with different songs. I haven't listened much to either to tell you which is better, but they both seem nice.
That's pretty much it. We listen to the radio a lot, because there are stations around here that play nothin' but Christmas music from Black Friday to Christmas, so we do get more variety, we just don't own it. Anyway, I would like to expand our collection, so here are some things I'd LIKE to have - any suggestions on these would be most welcome!
4. a Gregorian chant CD
5. something with "Sing We Now of Christmas" which I love even more now that I finally heard the whole thing, thanks to Heath, and no thanks to Michael W. Smith.
6. something with more obscure traditional songs from different cultures
And you know what else I would LOVE? An Advent CD. With songs like O Come, O Come Emmanuel and The King Shall Come When Morning Dawns and stuff like that. Does one of those exist???
Okay, I think I totally destroyed that meme with my lameness, but I'll try to pick up the pieces here and tag a few folks:
Heath and Shannon (I expect to hear from both of you!)