Thursday, September 25, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook

I am waaaaay late this week. Ah, well, probably won't be the last time. You can see all of this week's posts if you go and visit Peggy!


For Today...

Outside my Window... we are having an Indian Summer here. It hasn't quite decided to be Autumn yet.

I am thinking... this weekend is going to be awesome, because we are going to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon! If you are anywhere within driving distance of West Lafayette, Indiana, you should really go sometime.

From the learning rooms... Still having fun with the math workbook (how weird is that?) Samuel also had fun last night with some brain-teaser-type puzzles in a book that I had when I was a child. The ones he was working on were things involving making shapes with matchsticks, and then moving a set quantity to alter the shape in a certain way. After seeing all the different ways that you can solve a problem on http://fantasticcontraption.com/, he was rather surprised that the puzzles in the book had only one right answer!

I am thankful for... lots of friends for Samuel to play with in this neighborhood. He's out there right now with several of his buddies. I think it will be hard for him when the weather is colder and the days shorter and he won't be able to see his friends when they get home from his school. The wait until they are home is already interminable to him.

From the kitchen... dh is working again tonight. Dinner will be... I have no idea. But lest you think I am a total slacker, let me assure you that I have made two new dishes in the last week which have already been requested again: shepherd's pie and tamale pie. These are so easy and good - why didn't I ever make these before???

I am wearing... khaki capris, teal striped T-shirt, bare feet

I am reading... still working on How Children Learn, by John Holt. Most of my reading time has been reading political stuff online.

I am creating... a scarf. I've been working on the silly thing for a year now! I put it aside for a looong time when I was having pain in my hands and wrists, and what was supposed to be a short break turned into months. I finally remembered it and have picked it up again, so far with no pain other than getting used to using my knitting muscles again.

I am hearing... Rich Mullins' "The Jesus Record"

Around the house... remember that apple butter I was making? You're supposed to make applesauce first and then cook it down. So far, I haven't gotten past the applesauce part. The first batch had too much water. Well, no big deal, I'll just put less in the rest and it'll cook down eventually. So the second batch, I put less water... too much less water... and burned it! ("Too much less"? Does that even make sense? Oh, you know what I mean.) Will try again tonight or tomorrow.

One of my favorite things... apple butter on a warm muffin... hey, I can dream, can't I?

A few plans for the rest of the week... get out the fall decor! The weather isn't quite there yet, but I'm not waiting any longer!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

my new shoes

Got my new shoes! They aren't quite broken in yet, but I think they'll be as comfy as they are cute after a few more days.

No comments: