Monday, January 14, 2008

Yay, Jane Austen!

I got to watch the first in the Jane Austen series on Masterpiece Theater last night, even though I had to go hide in the back bedroom of my in-laws to do it since we were visiting there and they were watching some Lonesome Dove prequel miniseries. (I got the better end of that deal, IMO!) Last night's movie was Persuasion, and I really liked it, although it was not nearly as faithful to the book as the other version I have seen. Samuel was in the room with me, coloring, and he looked up just in time to see the scene where Mary Musgrove's son is injured, and again when Louisa takes her fall. With just those two bits to go on, he told me, "This movie is all about sickness and death!" I explained to him that neither one died, and that it was actually about love, but I don't think he believed me. I just finished reading Northanger Abbey (which I found very funny), so I am ready for next week! I am hoping to finish each book that I haven't read yet before it airs.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oooooohhh I love Jane Austen! Sad thing is, it has been sooo long (15 years?) since I have read her books. The characters you mention don't even sound familiar. I am going to have to re-read them again.