Tuesday, May 29, 2007

unschooling math

Samuel announced yesterday that 7 times 2 is 14, and it would only take 6 more to get to 20. This may not seem that impressive, except that I have never taught him math except as it has come up in our daily life - you know, counting and whatnot. Most of it, he's figured out on his own because he thinks it's interesting. Somehow I don't think he'd be figuring out math concepts in his head for fun if he was drilled with worksheets.

We should probably work on his concept of time, though. Today I told him we had 10 more minutes at the pool, as he was getting blue and shivery. Then I gave him the 5-minute warning. "It's been 5 minutes already?" "Yes." "Those minutes are wimpy!"

1 comment:

TammyT said...

Ya know, whodda thunk that someone can figure out that 7 times 2 is 14 without being sat down and taught?

Saying that people need to be taught how to add, subtract, their colors, their numbers, how to read, and how to stand in line, is like saying that people need to be taught how to walk, how to talk to each other and how to use IM, or else they will never figure it out.

And those 5 wimpy minutes - I can totally relate. I feel the same way when I'm surfing blogs and I look up and it's time to make dinner. Ack! Look at the time! Gotta run!