Tuesday, July 04, 2006

God bless America



Happy Independence Day! I really enjoyed Scott's post over at Left of the Dial today, and you will too! We are hoping to find some fireworks for Samuel tonight. He got his first dose on Saturday at the Arch in St. Louis. Their fireworks have really gone downhill from what they used to be, but it was the first time Samuel had ever seen them (well, that he wasn't immediately carried away in terror), and he was completely captivated. I only wish I had brought my camera to preserve the smile of wonder on his face when the show began.

This webquiz seems appropriate today: How American are you? I have to say, I have no idea how they score this thing. I think they are defining "American" as being politically conservative. Is that fair? Isn't America the one place where you can believe just about whatever you want and not be any less American? I will admit that I am sometimes thoroughly depressed by the state of our country - does that make me un-American? Or does it mean I love America enough to not want it to continue in a downward spiral? If you take the quiz, ignore the score, but think about what it really means to be an American.

No comments: