Thursday, June 01, 2006

Read, already!

I've decided that unschooling will be a lot easier once Samuel can read. Sure, there's TONS of stuff we can do now, but I feel like he'll be able to really take off and be more self-directed once he can read. He says he wants to learn, but rarely does he want to sit down and actually work on it. We have been using the Little Stories for Little Folks program from Catholic Heritage Curriculum. It is a great program, and since we do it when the inspiration strikes, I still feel like it fits into our unschool-y life. I can see Samuel getting closer and closer to really making an effort to learn to read, but he's just not quite there yet. In the meantime, we are doing lots of read-alouds, and when I find little things I know he can easily sound out, I'll encourage him to give it a shot. He is very overwhelmed by reading, and usually spends twice as much time telling me it's too hard as he does actually reading, which he can almost always do pretty easily once I convince him to just try it.

No comments: