Saturday, June 24, 2006

I am from

I discovered through Melissa at The Lilting House that Loni at Joy in the Morning proposed this writing contest based on the poem "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyons. I am too late to enter, but wanted to try it anyway. If you decide to give it a shot by using this template, please leave a link to your poem in the comments section, as I would love to read it! Here's what I came up with:

Where I'm From

I am from ribbon barrettes, from Reeboks and roller skates.

I am from the little ranch house,
in Alabama, New Mexico, Texas, Mississippi, Illinois
From grapevines and yucca plants, lizards and squirrels, and always flowers.

I am from the cactus,
the piercing needles when I fall off my bike.

I am from driving aimlessly looking at lights on Christmas Eve
and political indignation,
from Mom, Dad, and Tara
and Grandmas and Granddaddies.

I am from the biting sarcasm
and well-hidden emotions.
From "Because I said so"
and "Do your best".

I am from lukewarm Catholicism, agnosticism, and finally orthodoxy.
From hot, itchy Sunday dresses, almost fainting during an endless rosary on a hot Biloxi afternoon,
From turning my back,
From kneeling at the feet of Mary.

I'm from Virginia, barbecue and cherry pie.
From the dirt in the dugout while Dad played softball, the splinters from the fiberglass bleachers, and the first steps of my little sister next to the chocolate brown ottoman.

I am from big leather albums in green and red,
Mom with a pregnant belly and Dad in a flight suit,
Tara in big shoes and a washcloth on her head,
Air shows and balloon festivals,
Disneyland and Sea World,
A long-haired white dog, caked in mud,
Chronicling a family that stuck together when there was nothing else to stick to.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I loved your poem. I attempted to start one too but it is hard... I don't think I have used that part of my brain in a long time. :) Jen

Tracy said...

LOL, I haven't either! The template helped a lot, but it still took me a while to get going. Don't give up!

Rebecca said...

What a great poem! Thank you for posting it. I really liked using the template.