Monday, April 17, 2006

Dandelions

Some of our neighbors recently had their lawns chemically treated. These neighbors always have lawns that are a pristine expanse of perfectly groomed green grass, with nary a weed in sight. Compare that to our lawn, which is overrun with violets in the front and dandelions in the back, and probably only gets mowed once every two weeks. Sometimes I wonder if the neighbors are annoyed by our lackadaisical approash to lawn care. Then, a few days ago, as Samuel and I were driving down the road, he cried out, "LOOK!!! Dandelions!" Yep, he had spied the first dandelions. And was SO excited! Why on earth would I want to get rid of them? After thinking about it, I decided I like our weeds. They add some color to our otherwise boring yard. Dandelions are pretty when they are yellow, delightful to blow when they are white and fuzzy, and good to eat (both leaves and flowers!) as long as you don't spray your yard, which we obviously don't! The guinea pigs like the leaves, as we have discovered, and they are also great for salads. The yellow flowers can be battered and fried or just eaten raw. We have also used the violets from the front yard to make pretty purple violet ice cream. (Hmm, maybe we'll try that again soon... they are starting to bloom!) So, to heck with what the neighbors think! We like our weeds!

2 comments:

raquel said...

tracy...hey! it's raquel. from high school. then macdonald, now pikula...how long has it been since we last ran into each other? anyway...i was on geocities. seeing who all had updated their info and noticed your blog. you knit??? me too!!! yay!!! in fact, getting ready to take off to my knitting group! anyway...email me. raquel.pikula@gmail.com and/or check out my blog that i recently started... cornflakegirl1933.blogspot.com
talk to you later!!!

Dawn said...

Hi Tracy, I found your blog through your intro. at 4Real. I LOVE this post and feel the same way about dandelions and lawns in general. Great blog! :)