Sunday, February 19, 2006

lazy sunday

Today, by virtue of sliding into Mass at the last possible minute, we were asked to bring up the gifts. We let Samuel carry the big ciborium up to the priest, which he was very excited about. He was trying very hard to be careful, but he was bouncing as he walked from all the excitement! (Don't worry, he made it up to the front and successfully handed the vessel to Father.) We talked about how he got to carry up the bread that would soon be Jesus. I was hoping that he would then pay extra attention to the consecration, but he was so revved up from his trip up the aisle in the middle of Mass that he couldn't sit still or pay attention for the rest of the service! Oh, well.

Dh and I have been talking about when to let him receive his first Holy Communion. A priest friend told us that whenever we think he's ready, he's willing to do it for us, which is great. We do not want to put Samuel in religious education, so it's nice to know that we have that flexibility. Now comes the question: when is he ready? What I would like to do is strew, strew, strew, until he asks to receive. He already knows that the Eucharist is Jesus, he likes to play Mass, etc. I think he already knows as much as he would be taught in a religious ed program. (And more than I was taught when I received - I certainly didn't know the Eucharist was really Jesus!) So in that sense, I think he's ready. But, I would like to wait until he asks to receive, because I think that he will have a deeper appreciation for and devotion to the sacrament for his whole life if he receives it for the first time because he desires it, and not because we tell him it's time for him to do it now. Shawn is still thinking about it, so we will see what happens.

Okay, this is completely random, but I still laugh whenever I think about it, so I have got to write it down somewhere. A few weeks ago, Samuel almost fell asleep in his carseat on the way to Auntie Tara's house. I knew he needed to use the bathroom before falling asleep, so I told him to hold out a little longer, use the bathroom at her place, and then he could fall asleep on the way home. When he got out of the car, he was walking funny, and I thought it was because he had to go, so I told him to hurry up and get inside. He said, "No, I have a weird foot!" "You have a weird foot??" "Yes, my foot feels fizzy!" Yep, his foot had fallen asleep. :)

No comments: